The dictionary definition of a tyre is a band of iron, steel rubber, etc placed round the rim of wheel to strengthen it or reduce vibration.
The wheel tyre is the round black object that links the vehicle to the
ground. It also serves as the last transmitter of motion from the vehicle
through its road — gripping tendency.
Many people just buy any iyre
anywhere and anyhow. Whereas, the active safety. Of any journey near or
far depend on:
1. The speed of the vehicle
2. The tendency of the tyre to withstand road conditions
3. The capacity of the tyre to hold down the vehicle when the brake is applied
4. The tyre design to withstand emergency situations.
All these factors and some others must be met before a vehicle can be considered to be road worthy and safe for driving considering the role of tyre as regards these concepts, the vehicle tyre must be:
* Good enough to offer a good grip on the road for fast traveling fast stopping and on road for providing non slippery tendency during a wet driving condition.
* strong enough to withstand excessive pressure built up in side the tyre itself as a result of heat during hot whether or over heating of the wheels.
* Tough enough to withstand road shocks, vibration and tension. It must be able to carry the pressure required to propel the vehicle.
* Choosing a good tyre is the starting point of ensuring that a vehicle
operation is safe.
To choose a vehicle tyre, the tyre size must be the recommended size by the vehicle manufacture; the tyre size Is always written on the side of the tyre in very bold letters.
This type of tyre eliminates the need for a separate tube. The inside of the casing and outer surface of the bead is lined with a soft rubber, which forms an air — tight seal with the ream.
Advantages claimed by tubeless tyre are:
* Separate tube not required
* Better air sealing qualities are obtained provided the cover is correctly sealed to the rim and the soft inner liner of the cover provides a puncture sealing arrangement. On fitting or removing this tyre, be very careful to avoid damaging the bead.
To ensure uniform tyre wear, the wheels should be interchanged at frequent intervals. Longitudinal change (0/S front to N/S rear etc) diagonal changes (0/S front to N/S rear and spare to 0/S rear etc) are normally advised.