Without a word spoken about the forthcoming governorship contest in 2024, one individual has more than most, unsettled the political stratosphere in Edo State. That man is Dr. Asue Ighodalo.
Various individuals have begun to organize phantom groups to make statements about Asue’s possible candidature, in clear display of jitters and fears that his entering the contest may cause a seismic shift.
This heightened tension over the man who from a distance appears quite innocuous has forced me into some research into his background and the following are my findings about the Nigerian lawyer from Ewohimi, Esan South East Local Government Area of Edo State.
Secondary : Kings College
First Degree (Economics): University of Ibadan
Law Degree : London School of Economics
Bachelor of Law: Nigeria Law School
Other professional certificates
International Institute for Management Development (IMD) 2023
Stanford Directors College 2019
INSEAD International Directors Programme 2016
Harvard Business School-Making Corporate Boards More Effective 2015
ASPEN Institute – Nigeria Leadership Seminar 2006
Harvard Business School-Governing for Non-Profit Excellence 2004
Georgetown University- Georgetown Leadership programme 2003
Business and Profession
• Along with Femi Olubanwo, Asue set up Banwo & Ighodalo law firm in 1991. The firm has since grown to have 15 partners and over 100 lawyers as at today.
• Asue is Chairman Sterling Bank
• Chairman Nigeria Breweries Plc
• Chairman DOII Design Limited
• Director, Okomu Oil Palm Plc
• Director, Main Street Technology Limited (Maine One)
• Former Chairman, Dangote Flour Mills Plc
• Former Chairman, Nigeria Economic Summit Group (NESG)
• Former Director, Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA)
These are a few findings from my research into the man Asue Ighodalo and it is quite staggering. Is this man really going to run for governor? If he is, then the jitters in the Edo’s political space about his candidature are understandable.
More to follow in Part Two