Warri – There was pandemonium on Friday night when a midnight inferno destroyed the Post Graduate Hostel on campus 3 of the Delta State University (DELSU) Abraka in Ethiope East Local Government Area of the state.
The fire which was attributed to an electrical fault, was said to have started at about 1am from the topmost floor of the two storey building affecting most parts of it.
NIGERIAN OBSERVER gathered the first and second floors of the two storey building were worst hit before the raging fire was finally put out by the fire service of the institution.
Although no life was lost , it was gathered that a lot of students lost their phones, documents, laptops and other valuables both to the fire and fellow students who took advantage of the pandemonium to steal.
According to a student , “Most students were still awake when the incident started. They quickly alerted their colleagues and everyone fled for safety”.
Another student, giving her own account of the incident, said, “I was a bit far away, we really don’t know. Some students said, a female student was cooking beans on her gas cooker when she slept off, others said it was due to an electrical fault.”
Confirming the incident, the DELSU Public Relations Officer, Mr. Eddy Agbure, when contacted, described the incident as ” “a colossal damage” but expressed happiness that no life was lost in the inferno.