The director of development control in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) administration, Muktar Galadima, says rescue operation was ongoing with combined team of several agencies of government to rescue the over 50 people trapped in a two-storey building that collapsed in Abuja this afternoon.
A two-storey commercial complex under construction in Gwarinpa District of Abuja trapped over 50 persons under its rubbles, according to eye witnesses. Unconfirmed reports indicate that two people were already dead in the building collapse.
Commenting on the incident, senior special assistant to FCT minister on monitoring, inspection, and enforcement, Ikharo Attah, said government had mobilised relevant machineries to ensure the safe rescue of the victims.
Many are still feared trapped under the rubble of the building, a shopping mall under construction in the 7th Avenue area of Gwarimpa in Abuja, Attah said.
“As of 2:41pm on Thursday, we have rescued seven persons. Out of the seven, five looked stable while two have been taken to the hospital due to their unstable condition,” Attah said.
Those held in the building are workers on the site, especially labourers conveying blocks to the top of the building, were over 50 and were trapped in the rubble of the collapsed building, with two deaths confirmed so far.
The Nigerian Observer will keep tab on the ongoing rescue process and keep our readers updated as the events unveil.