…SSG lauds Edo camp welfare

BENIN CITY – The Governor of Edo State, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has charged intending Muslim pilgrims from the state to conduct themselves with dignity and uphold the image of the State and Nigeria as 95 pilgrims depart for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the 2026 Hajj pilgrimage.

The governor gave the admonition at the weekend during a farewell ceremony organised for the pilgrims at the Edo State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board office in Benin City, where Islamic clerics, traditional rulers and leaders of various Muslim organisations gathered to offer prayers for a successful pilgrimage.

Representing Governor Okpebholo at the event, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Umar Musa Ikhilor, Esq., said the administration remained committed to the welfare of Muslims in the state and to ensuring that pilgrims enjoy adequate support during the Hajj exercise.

Ikhilor said the governor’s inclusive governance style had strengthened ties between the administration and the Muslim community, noting that members of the faith had continued to enjoy a sense of belonging in the affairs of government.

“I had to take time to mention some of those who are present to show the sense of belonging that the governor, His Excellency Senator Monday Okpebholo, has for the Muslim community and how he has integrated the Muslim community in the affairs of the state,” he said.

The SSG commended Edo pilgrims for their conduct during the previous Hajj, revealing that the state’s camp in Saudi Arabia became a model for others due to the quality of welfare and feeding arrangements provided.

According to him, pilgrims and officials from other states had attested to the hospitality at the Edo camp, particularly the availability of African delicacies — an arrangement he described as uncommon during Hajj operations.

He, however, acknowledged challenges encountered in preparations for this year’s pilgrimage, especially the inability of many registered intending pilgrims to complete travel arrangements on schedule.

Ikhilor attributed the development largely to late preparations by intending pilgrims, describing it as a nationwide challenge. He assured that the Edo State Government was already engaging relevant federal authorities to improve coordination ahead of future exercises.

He further urged the pilgrims to strictly obey Saudi Arabian regulations and avoid any conduct capable of tarnishing the image of Edo State and Nigeria.

“We should conduct ourselves properly and not engage in anything that will bring a bad reputation to the state or to our country, the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” he warned.

The SSG also advised the pilgrims to remain united throughout the pilgrimage and refrain from separating themselves from their designated groups.

In his remarks, the Amirul Hajj and Oghieaga of Ivbie, HRH Mallam Ali D. Sulayman, urged the intending pilgrims to reciprocate government support through exemplary behaviour while in the holy land.

“The only way to show gratitude for the support that the government has given is to be of good conduct and ambassadors to Edo State,” he said, while encouraging them to surpass last year’s performance.

Earlier, Chairman of the Edo State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Musa Muhammad Uduimoh, disclosed that although 351 intending pilgrims initially registered for the 2026 Hajj through the board, only 95 would eventually participate in the exercise.

He explained that the contingent comprises 45 female and 50 male pilgrims, including officials.

Uduimoh, however, appealed to the Edo State Government to improve mobility and operational support for the board, lamenting that officials frequently rely on personal vehicles to carry out official assignments.

He also decried the absence of an ambulance and official vehicles for Edo pilgrims in Saudi Arabia, saying the state often depends on neighbouring contingents for emergency and operational support.

“Anytime we have the need, we run to a neighbouring state,” he lamented, while appealing for urgent government intervention.